In case you noticed a drop off of “Building With Beth” posts over the last week it’s because I’ve been on a luxuriously relaxing vacation. Now don’t start thinking that I didn’t spend any time working on the In Law unit. It was my vacation after all. I had to take full advantage of my open afternoons and scheduling flexibility. While the first half of my week was spent soaking up the sun and hiking the trails in the beautiful Santa Cruz mountains, the second half of the week was spent bringing a little light into the dim and dark In Law unit.
That’s right, it’s time to install some windows! Well, one window and one sliding glass door to be specific. The second window that needs to be installed was accidentally ordered in the wrong size, so that installation will be a different post. Therefore, today we will be installing one new window and the sliding glass door.
The original windows were old, ugly and very energy inefficient. Technically they kept out rogue mourning doves and roving bands of mosquitos, however, that was the limit of their functionality. Here are a couple of pictures:
Window 1 – The Bathroom: Technically the window in the bathroom is called a “Jalousie” Window, but I’m pretty sure that’s just a marketing ploy to make these ugly slatted glass windows sound fancier.
Window 2 – Future Sliding Glass Door: This is a basic single-paned glass window, but someday it will be either a glorious sliding glass door, or a massive breach in the fortified walls of our castle.
Since I’ve never installed a window or a door before, I brought in a little help for this task. There is something intimidating about cutting a hole into the side of your home and exposing the inside to nature and/or bandits. Not to mention that the framing needs to be done properly or the window / door simply won’t fit. To make sure this was done right, I brought in one of the guys who has helped me through this project, Simon.
We began by reframing the spaces where the new window and the new door will be installed. Since the space for the sliding glass door was already framed, we only need to cut the hole where we should be able to (in theory) simply pop the new door into place.
Once the hole was cut we could stick down the waterproofing membrane.
Once we finished cutting out the opening for the sliding door, we moved onto the bathroom window. The original window was tucked in between two studs, and was less than 12″ wide. The new window will be nearly twice that size. This meant that we had to add some new framing and expand the size of the original window opening.
I have to admit that the actual installation of the window & door was not nearly as complicated as I thought it would be. In my mind I was opening a giant hole in the side of my home where waiting bands of robbers would come with their army of plague infested rodents and swarms of wasps to pillage my home. I would be helplessly trying to keep them out by frantically working to assemble windows that came in a box of 1000 parts and needed to be put together using instructions that were both in a foreign language and in code
In the end, however, installation wasn’t nearly as intimidating as it was in my imagination. Here are the really basic steps:
- Frame out the space where the window will live. Make sure that the new opening is 3/4″ wider and taller than the actual size of the windows/door that you ordered.
- Install the waterproofing membrane in that opening.
- Apply calking around the opening (on top of the water proofing membrane)
- Pop the window into the hole & make sure it’s level by using a few shims
- Screw the frame of the window to the wall
- Enjoy your new window
Here’s the end result!
Now the real test will come when the reordered window arrives and I need to install it all by myself. I’m pretty sure that I’m prepared for that challenge, but I’ll let you know how it goes!